January 5-11, 1953 

Working on behalf of crippled children is taking top priority in the Reidsville Junior Service League this year. 

The league will send 45 percent of the money it raises through various projects to the North Carolina Society for Crippled Children. It will spend the remaining 55 percent on programs for crippled children in Reidsville, including the Crippled Children Clinic. 

The Reidsville tobacco market closed its 1952-53 season with total sales of 13,534,352 pounds at an average of $47.22 per hundredweight. The poundage was up from 12.5 million the previous year but the average was down from $49 in 1951-52. ... Luther Hodges of Leaksville, the former Fieldcrest Mills executive, was sworn in as lieutenant governor of North Carolina in inaugural ceremonies at Raleigh. ... Twenty-seven Rockingham County men were called up for military service by the county draft board. It also will send 74 men to Raleigh for preinduction examinations during the month of January. 

Arthur L. Jackson was named superintendent of Fieldcrest Mills' rayon mill in Leaksville, succeeding Howard Barton, who has been named secretary of a management committee that will direct a new housekeeping program at the mill. Barton has been with Fieldcrest since 1910. Jackson joined the company in 1948. ... Retail stores belonging to the Reidsville Merchants Association will begin closing on Wednesdays at noon and will continue to do so until the tobacco market reopens in the fall. ... Ed Flynn, an employee of Morehead Cotton Mills in Spray, has been named Exchangite of the Year by the Leaksville-Spray Exchange Club in recognition of his work for crippled children. 

For the bed: Wool-filled rayon satin comforter, $8.88. 

Car for sale: 1953 Aero Willys Aero Lark two-door sedan, $1,499.50.

Hit Counter